Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Axe-Murderer" Salad...and other tries this week!

Okay - now that I have your attention! We have had some interesting results from this week's garden CSA haul. The winners were:
- Harukrei turnip and strawberry salad: thinly sliced turnips over raw, torn up turnip greens. Inspired by this basic recipe http://www.examiner.com/cooking-in-portland/hakurei-turnips-from-top-to-bottom. But, since we had no tomatos, we added strawberries for the sweet, acidic element and substituted bottled Italian dressing since we were low on time. DH and I thought it was great...DS actually served himself more and asked when we would have it again!

- Mixed-veggie stir-fry: featured napa cabbage, kohlrabi sliced, kohlrabi greens, harukei turnips sliced, sugar-snap peas, scallions, and garlic scapes from the CSA (and carrots and some left-over skirt steak - to pacify DS, who is not a big stir-fry fan.) Everything came out great except the kohlrabi greens - overcooked, maybe?

- Massaged Kohlrabi-Green Salad w/ Peaches: Much like the massaged kale salad from two weeks ago, but with kohlrabi greens and, well, peaches...the greens were much better this way, and DS served himself more of this one as well!

- "Axe-Murderer" Salad: a basic slaw of thinly sliced napa cabbage, thin-sliced carrots, and grated beets, dressed in a light vinagrette of equal parts honey and rice wine vinegar whisked with salt, pepper, and enough oil to make it all work.


Okay -- that one takes some explaining! No, there is no recipe or website linked to "Axe-Murderer" salad...the name was inspired by the terrific purple, oozy mess which results when one attempts to grate a beet. Now I have absolutely zero experience with beets in their natural state...and almost no experience with beets whatsoever. I will own the fact that, as we cruised the CSA line and encountered the largest bunch of beets on the planet staring at us I gave a shudder, thinking "great...who the heck wants beets?" But, I kept reading how beets are sweet and go great in slaws and salads, so I concocted this all by myself. I went into the act of grating beets in a very naive way...to look at them, they seem hard and dry, and I assumed that they would be as easy to manage as potatoes. They are, in fact, the wettest veggie I have ever wrangled! Advice to those who want to grate beets is cover your workspace (and yourself) in as many layers of protective garb as you can muster - I had beet-splatter all the way up my arms, in my hair, and on my glasses! (I can only assume that beets are vibrant and full of life, and are very reluctant to give it up just so I can make a slaw.)  DS approached the table and stated: "Ewwwww...BEETS! (read: "I have never tasted a beet and have no desire to try something that purple...ever.") After one bite, we received two thumbs-up from the anti-beet grump...that's good enough for me!

Only "eh" result of the week was a braised kohlrabi with spinach side-dish...grated kohlrabi root sauteed with onion, butter, and tossed with fresh basil. Not bad...but not great. Much like sauerkraut, but with no "sour" factor.

I hope to do a better job of photo-logging the next bunch of items...sometimes I just end up covered in veggie parts and the camera isn't on my mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment